We have a team of five investment professionals with decades of impact investing experience across Africa. In this role, you will have an opportunity to contribute to our growing track record, get hands-on experience investing with various financial instruments across a diverse set of companies and funds, and play a lead role in refining and scaling our Value Creation Platform.
What you’ll do
The Portfolio Manager will play a critical role in managing AHL’s impact investment activities, and refining our Value Creation Platform and Thought Leadership.
Deal Sourcing, Due Diligence and Deal Structuring:
- You will lead due diligence and present investment recommendations to AHL’s investment committee. This includes performing market analyses, evaluating financial projections, sensitivity analyses, valuations, and preparing investment memoranda.
Active Portfolio Management and Value Creation:
- You will take a pro-active approach in understanding the different challenges and strategic opportunities for our portfolio companies, and use our team and network of partners to solve these challenges and unlock opportunities.
- You will perform financial and operational analyses of investee companies to monitor their performance. In some cases, you may sit on the board on behalf of AHL.
- You will build and execute exit strategies for a number of current AHL portfolio companies.
Refine and Scale AHL’s Value Creation Platform:
- AHL provides a broad range of post-investment support and services to our portfolio companies in areas such as finance, HR, business development and governance (our Value Creation Platform). We offer this support through our team and a network of experts and service providers.
- An integral part of this role will be to refine and institutionalize our Value Creation Platform to ultimately drive the success of our portfolio companies. This includes growing and managing our network of experts and partners and collaborating with our team to curate resources of lessons learned and best practices for our investee companies.
Developing AHL’s content and event strategy:
- You will lead thought leadership at AHL including collaborating with the team to develop content (articles, press releases, our quarterly newsletter) and organizing events.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- You have 5-7 years of relevant and high-quality professional experience in impact investment, private equity, financial advisory, management consulting, or working in a senior role at a startup;
- You thrive in an independent working environment, using your best judgment, high ethical standards, strong communication skills, passion and adeptness with start-ups/SMEs to execute on AHL’s mission;
- You are an entrepreneur advocate. You bring a genuine curiosity about their business objectives and goals — and use this deeper understanding to align our efforts with their business’ needs;
- You understand the power of connections. You can identify organic growth opportunities with existing relationships and understand how to strategically expand our network to make sure that AHL Venture Partners is top of mind for the right people at the right time;
- You have a bachelor’s degree in business, finance or similar discipline and preferably have completed, begun or are interested in pursuing further certification (such as the CFA) or master level education (such as an MBA);
- You have regional experience and/or citizenship in Sub Saharan Africa, preferably East & Southern Africa.
How to apply
Please email Tsakane Ngoepe (email@example.com) with the subject line “Portfolio Manager – [Your Name]”, your resume and cover letter.
The deadline for applications is Friday, July 19, 2019.
AHL is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive team of the highest caliber. This will be a rigorous recruitment process involving several interviews and complete reference checks. Our aim is to get to know you, your experience and working style and to ensure that you are a fit for us, and AHL is a fit for you.