Position: Head of Research
Location: Central London
Working hours: Full-time
Right to work in the United Kingdom: Required
About the role
As part of our drive to catalyse and champion private investment in Africa, we are seeking an experienced Head of Research, who is a mission-focused, strategic and process-minded leader with the ability to delegate responsibility, build consensus, communicate effectively and lead a team of high performing and committed individuals to deliver results in a dynamic pan-African not-for-profit organisation.
The Head of Research is a management position, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The Head of Research will lead and oversee the research function of the Association, supervise the research staff and work closely with the management team as a partner in helping the Association achieve its key objectives.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) of AVCA, the Head of Research shall lead a small but focused team and have the following key deliverables and responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction for the creation and provision of thought-provoking content, insights and data to build up AVCA’s reputation in the industry. Work with the CEO and other team members to develop the overall go-to-market research strategy of AVCA.
- Lead and co-ordinate the research team in creating content, insights and data, and be responsible for high-quality project delivery on a timely basis.
- Deliver AVCA’s thought-provoking content, insights and data through a range of channels, including thought leadership, conference presentations, client meetings, media interviews, social media and other market-facing activities.
- Ensure that AVCA has a coordinated approach to find, collect, repurpose, create, curate, and share content and data.
- Lead, manage, coach and develop team members involved in AVCA’s private equity research initiatives to ensure that AVCA accomplishes tasks to meet its overall goals.
- Collaborate with the CEO, COO and other AVCA team members to identify potential opportunities to increase AVCA’s revenue streams through the provision of, or dissemination of, information and insights related to marketplace trends and drivers.
- Develop strong stakeholder relationships with AVCA members and with the broader private equity community.
- Where relevant, contribute to national and international policy discussions relating to the African private equity industry.
Minimum qualifications for the position include an advanced degree in a relevant field, and at least 5 years' experience in a management position, including proven work experience in the financial services sector.
Skills and attributes
- Strong analytical skills, including expertise in the modelling and analysis of data
- Ability to appropriately communicate sensitive information and to judge how and with whom this information should be shared
- Excellent project management and project delivery skills
- Ability to foster a collaborative working environment
- Strong listening, communication and collaboration skills
- Experience designing effective work-flow management policies
- Drive team members to deliver to a high standard and achieve set objectives
- Advanced computer skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Proven experience creating and writing Thought Leadership reports
- A good knowledge of the private equity asset class in general, and the investment landscape in Africa, in particular, would be an advantage
How to apply
If you would like to be considered for this role, please email your CV and a cover letter stating your notice period and highlighting your suitability for the role in alignment with the job description to email@example.com by 9am on Monday 19 April 2021.
Applicants possessing the appropriate skills and experience for the role will be contacted for an interview following the closing date.