Right to work in the United Kingdom
The African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA) is the pan-African industry body which promotes private capital in Africa. AVCA plays an important role as a champion for the industry by educating, equipping, and connecting members and stakeholders with independent data & intelligence, best practice training programmes and exceptional networking opportunities.
As the voice for private capital in Africa, AVCA exists to support the growth and prevalence of private capital as a way of driving sustainable economic growth across the continent. Our research output and training programmes are regarded as the standard for the industry, and we have been featured in respectable industry and media outlets. AVCA recently launched its AVCA Academy, a blended educational platform providing face to face, virtual and e-learning courses targeted at the private capital in Africa industry.
About the role
As part of our core objective to support the industry with knowledge exchange and capacity building, we are seeking an experienced Training Manager with a strong project management and organisational skills, who is accustomed to working to a very high standard, often with strict deadlines.
The successful candidate will be part of a high performing, committed team of professionals, and will be responsible for leading the new training function within AVCA and ensuring the growth and long-term sustainability of the AVCA Academy. The candidate will be responsible for engaging with a wide range of industry stakeholders to help identify training needs and opportunities that AVCA can meet. The successful candidate should have strong commercial acumen as they will be core in the development and growth of the training function as a key revenue generator for the organisation.
- Work with the CEO and Head of Strategic Initiatives and Stakeholder Engagement, to develop a medium-term strategy for AVCA’s Training unit, and proactively drive forward, and deliver on, the agreed strategic goals.
- Lead on scoping the training needs of AVCA members and the broader ecosystem and consequently develop an annual plan for the AVCA Academy including a suite of face to face, virtual, and on-demand programmes.
- Lead and co-ordinate the high quality and timely delivery of all AVCA Academy initiatives, working with other AVCA team members, external vendors and industry stakeholders as required.
- Support the development of high quality content and curricula development for new training programmes as well as processes to ensure the content is kept up to date
- Drive the expansion of the current training curriculum to meet the varied L&D needs of mid- and senior-, as well as junior level professionals.
- Identify and secure opportunities for AVCA to develop bespoke training programmes for organisations in the ecosystem.
- Develop new training opportunity business cases for consideration by the CEO and Senior Management Team (SMT), as appropriate.
- On an ongoing basis, suggest relevant and innovative ways for AVCA to continue to develop and grow its AVCA Academy programmes.
- Keep abreast of industry developments, identifying L&D needs and ensuring that the Academy curriculum and training material is kept up-to-date and relevant.
- Support the Event & Training Associate to manage AVCA’s proprietary learning management system and ensure all updates to on-demand curricula are made.
- Build and maintain partnerships with faculty in academics institutions that can support the AVCA Academy’s needs and growth.
- Work with the AVCA’s design agency and Marketing and Communications team to develop AVCA Academy brochures and other marketing materials.
- Work in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team to build effective marketing campaigns for our training offerings.
- Work proactively and reactively with other AVCA team members (including Communications, Events and Member Services) to ensure that there is a co-ordinated approach to identifying opportunities to deliver on, and communicate about, AVCA’s Training.
- Oversee the activities and development of the training functions of the Events & Training Associate.
- Tertiary qualifications in a business-related or Human Resources discipline and at least 7 years’ experience in a similar function.
- Impeccable time management, negotiation, and project management skills, with the ability to prioritise and multi-task effectively.
- Strong communication skills with high level of attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Critical thinking and ability to problem solve with minimal guidance.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Self-motivator, proactive, entrepreneurial attitude and a desire to learn.
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic environment.
- Flexibility to occasionally travel.
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage projects, competing priorities, and stakeholders with little supervision.
- A team-based approach to your work, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once, and deliver outcomes in a timely manner.
- General private equity or financial markets understanding and a keen interest in emerging markets, particularly Africa, is preferred but not essential.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and generous benefits package.
Applicants possessing the appropriate skills and experience for the role will be contacted for an interview following the closing date. If you would like to be considered for this role, please email your CV and a cover letter stating your notice period and highlighting your suitability for the role in alignment with the job description to: email@example.com by close of business on Friday, 3 March 2023.