The African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA) is the pan-African industry body that promotes private investment in Africa. AVCA plays an important role as a champion for the industry by educating, equipping, and connecting members and stakeholders with independent industry research, best practice training programmes and exceptional networking opportunities.
AVCA has the mandate to be the clear, consistent, and credible voice for African private equity. Our research output and training programmes are regarded as the standard for the industry, and we have been featured in respectable industry and media outlets. The AVCA Annual Conference is the industry’s flagship event and is the largest African private equity gathering globally. Each year, we attract over 500 delegates from 30 countries globally.
About the role
The Events Manager is responsible for designing, organising, and delivering AVCA’s events and training activities including conferences, webinars, training courses, masterclasses and distant learning programmes.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) of AVCA, the Events Manager shall have the following key deliverables and responsibilities:
- Lead the design, planning and delivery of a range of events and training, including the annual conference, venture capital summit, roundtables, seminars, training, networking receptions and networking events to be held primarily across Africa, in the US, Europe and the Middle East for 20 to 800 delegates.
- Work with key stakeholders in budget preparing for all events, agenda development, speaker and sponsorship management, and all event logistics through to post-event evaluation, achieving attendee targets and bringing each event in on budget.
- Managing suppliers and contractors for all AVCA events, including but not limited to, procurement, contract negotiation and project management.
- Acting as the first point of contact for all events and training related enquiries for the association, including managing the events and training email accounts and ensuring timely responses to queries.
- Ensure all event materials are produced to a high standard, on time and to budget, and all post-event materials – including video recordings - are made available to attendees in a timely and accessible manner.
- Actively managing the internal delegate management system for all AVCA events including troubleshooting and reporting.
- Develop the key processes and practices to ensure the smooth planning and delivery of the program of events and training activities.
- Organising collateral and other branded materials for meetings and events.
- This is not an exhaustive list of tasks; the post-holder will be asked to undertake any other ad hoc tasks commensurate with the scope and purpose of this post.
- Minimum of first degree in a relevant discipline and at least 3 years of work experience in a similar role.
- Full end-to-end event management (including venue finding and liaison, budgeting, logistics, supplier management, delegate registration, event marketing, sponsor management, on-site event management, and post-event analysis)
- Impeccable time management, negotiation, and project management skills, with experience in managing a diverse workload, with multiple deadlines, stakeholders and deliverables
- Strong communication skills with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience using email marketing tools and web content management systems, such as Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor, WordPress, or Drupal
- Experience in working with members, committees, sponsors, speakers and senior executive level stakeholders and partners
- Self-motivator, proactive, entrepreneurial attitude, and a desire to learn
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic environment
- Flexibility to travel
An intuitive approach to logistics and administration, with consistent and outstanding levels of output in events planning and facilitation
Energetic and creative, with the initiative to suggest and implement new ideas for AVCA HQ
Self-motivated with the ability to manage projects, competing priorities, and stakeholders with little supervision
A team-based approach to your work, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once, and deliver outcomes in a timely manner
General private equity or financial markets expertise and a keen interest in emerging markets, particularly Africa is preferred
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and generous benefits package.
How to apply
To apply for the role, please email your CV and a cover letter stating your notice period and highlighting your suitability for the role in alignment with the job description to: email@example.com by close of business on Friday 24th June 2022.
Email Subject Format
Application: Events Manager Position
- Please note emails that fail to follow the above format will be ignored.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.