Are you graduating from your MBA, MFin or a similar degree this spring and looking to get your foot in the door with an impact-focused investment firm working in the fastest growing economies in Africa?
Do you have a passion for investing, blended finance, economics and creating social value? Interested to learn how to source deals, diligence companies, build financial models, structure and negotiate terms, and unlock value in small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Africa? Do you like working through challenging problems, rolling up your sleeves and getting into the details, designing and driving forward projects that have real impact and celebrating wins with like-minded professionals? Do you want to leverage your learnings and deepen your understanding of international finance? Would you like to spend time in emerging markets, experience new cultures and meet entrepreneurs and investors on the front lines of economic development? If you answered yes to the above, this 6-month fellowship (beginning summer 2021) at RENEW is for you!
- We have become one of the most active investment firms in Ethiopia, and our investor network has grown to become the largest North American-based angel group dedicated to SMEs in Africa.
- Our office is in Addis Ababa and we have team members in Canada, the U.S., Nigeria, Rwanda, Uganda and India.
- We have a deep belief that drives our work: we focus on opportunities in developing nations rather than on problems. We invest rather than provide handouts. We find promising businesses in Africa, connect them to investors around the world and grow them into world-class companies. We do this because we believe that many growing businesses together create the engine that lifts entire nations out of poverty.
- We have portfolio companies in multiple East African countries, and a team based all over the globe, spanning three continents, all pursuing the same mission and goal: to find excellent companies, scale them, get our investors returns, and create thousands of jobs and significant social impact in the process.
What your experience will look like:
- You’ll be based out of our modern office located in Addis Ababa working for RENEW’s Ethiopian subsidiary along with a team of 20+, and further with management of our portfolio companies.
- Your program will consist of two parts: Part I is comprehensive; you’ll be onboarded, learn about RENEW and our investment practice and you’ll get a ton of insight into the impact investing industry in Africa. You’ll have projects to work on that will be focused on research, analysis and learning. Part II is focused; working directly with management on projects related to helping portfolio companies achieve their annual management plan. Both parts will be fast-paced, educational and hands-on.
- We’ll make sure you get time to experience other attractions that Ethiopia has to offer including sightseeing, cultural experiences, and tours!
What else you'll get:
- A round-trip flight to Ethiopia with all travel costs covered
- All work and expenses necessary in securing a work permit and any other immigration documents for Ethiopia
- Furnished housing with daily transportation to and from the office along with a modest stipend to cover other living costs
- Priceless mentorship and coaching from RENEW’s managing partners, based in Ethiopia, and other senior members of the team
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org