Location: Central London
Working hours: Full-time
Right to work in the United Kingdom: Required
The African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA) is the pan-African industry body which promotes private capital in Africa. AVCA plays an important role as a champion for the industry by educating, equipping, and connecting members and stakeholders with independent data & intelligence, best practice training programmes and exceptional networking opportunities. As the voice for private capital in Africa, AVCA exists to support the growth and prevalence of private capital as a way of driving sustainable economic growth across the continent. Our research output and training programmes are regarded as the standard for the industry, and we have been featured in respectable industry and media outlets. The AVCA Annual Conference & VC Summit is the industry’s flagship event and is the largest African private equity gathering globally.
About the role
As part of our drive to support the development and growth of private capital in Africa, we are seeking an experienced Head of Business Operations & Finance (HBOF), who is a mission-focused, strategic and process-minded leader with experience of driving and scaling an organisation and leading a team of high performing and committed individuals. The Head of Business Operations & Finance “HBOF” shall have the primary responsibility of leading and overseeing the day-to-day operations, oversight of all finance and operations processes and including financial management and reporting, human resources management, internal systems and processes. The candidate will work closely with all other functional Heads to drive efficient management of resources, enhanced performance monitoring and reporting and improve the efficiency and profitability of our offerings. The successful candidate will be a key member of the Senior Management Team supporting the teams to deliver measurable, cost-effective results along the four main pillars of the association – Research, Training, Networking Events and Advocacy.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) of AVCA, the HBOF shall lead all internal operations and have the following key deliverables and responsibilities:
Operations Management and Efficiency
- Oversee daily operations of the association across all pillars and ensure timely and efficient delivery across all business units to a high standard while acting as the bridge between the business units.
- Develop ways to reduce costs and increase operational efficiency and robustness of the association.
- Measure effectiveness and efficiency of internal operational processes and develop ways to improve these processes, ensuring timely communication and resolution of issues.
- Oversee management of all vendors for the association
- Oversee the development and implementation of relevant operational policies: health & safety, employee code of conduct, absence monitoring, confidentiality policy etc.
- Oversee the development and implementation of operational infrastructure and software to improve the association’s performance.
- Maintain a departmental structure, operating standards and practices that are responsive and adaptable to evolving business needs.
- Any other deliverables and responsibilities as may be required by the association from time to time.
Financial Control and Management
- Develop and continually monitor annual budget and financial forecasts and provide in-house financial management against deliverables.
- Develop monthly and quarterly budget and monitor performance against full year budget and prior year activities.
- Evaluate the association’s performance against prior year and peers and implement strategies to improve performance and achieve objectives.
- Work with book-keepers to produce monthly management accounts, and auditors to deliver yearly audited accounts for approval by the Finance and Audit committee of the Board
- Oversee all purchasing and payroll activity for AVCA employees.
- Monitor banking activities of the association ensuring adequate cashflow to meet the association’s needs.
- Create and monitor budgets for the strategic initiatives and special projects.
- Assess and appraise all prospective contracts, evaluating the financial implications against budget, and advise the CEO accordingly.
Human Resource Management
- Support the CEO in driving team members to deliver to a high standard and achieve set objectives.
- Manage employee performance by establishing clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring timely feedback, and addressing performance issues promptly.
- Assist the CEO in establishing an appropriate organizational structure in line with the association’s objectives.
- Assist the CEO in recruiting and retaining skilled talent to meet the current and future business needs.
- Support the CEO in establishing policies that promote the association’s culture and vision.
- Support the CEO in establishing a professional development and advancement plan for employees.
- Oversee business insurance plans, health care and other employee benefits analysis.
Vendor and Supplier Management
- Manage all vendor and partner relationships by managing pricing for services, negotiating credit terms for optimal business cash flow cycle – set clear expectations, performance evaluation of vendors, communicate feedback timely.
- Manage new vendor selection process including evaluating and appraising proposals.
- Run monthly payments to vendors and track payments and invoices against budget.
Board Reporting, Governance & Advisory Committee
- Support committees of the Board and committees of the association
- Report to the Finance and Audit Committee on a quarterly basis
- Alongside CEO, prepare and present to the Board at bi-annual meetings.
- Support the CEO to ensure the association operates with good corporate governance.
Member Services, Networking Events & Training
- Set annual membership targets for the association in line with annual budget.
- Support CEO, Head of Strategic Initiatives & Stakeholder Engagement, and Member Services manager in attracting new and retaining existing members.
- Oversee the Events team in managing and executing the organisation of the association’s Annual Conference & VC Summit, and other networking events, including the preparation of a financial budget and overseeing the vendor relationships.
- Develop financing strategy for the association’s networking events – set sponsorship budget and delegate pricing in line with the overall annual budget.
- Develop pricing model for the association’s training efforts to ensure profitability as well as high delegate attendance.
- Support all fundraising efforts for the conference and other networking events.
- Review supplier contract for all AVCA networking events and provide recommendation to the CEO thereafter.
- Support all public relations and marketing projects undertaken by the association.
- Support profile-raising opportunities of the association.
- Tertiary qualifications in a business-related discipline and at least 10 years’ experience in finance and / or business operations role
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Impeccable organizational skills, with the ability to prioritise and multi-task effectively.
- Excellent project management skills
- Confident, articulate and effective communicator (verbal and written)
- Strong business analytical skills with the ability to develop high quality and focused presentations.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent team leading skills
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic environment.
- A good knowledge of the private equity asset class in general, and the investment landscape in Africa would be an advantage.
- Chartered Accountancy qualification preferred but not essential.
- Strong inclination towards procedures and systems, with consistent and outstanding levels of delivery
- Demonstrable ability to innovate in a small organisation and drive change from the drawing board to full implementation
- Energetic and creative, with the initiative to suggest and implement new ideas for AVCA HQ
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage projects, competing priorities, and stakeholders with little supervision
- A team-based approach to your work, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once, and deliver outcomes in a timely manner
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and generous benefits package.
Applicants possessing the appropriate skills and experience for the role will be contacted for an interview following the closing date. If you would like to be considered for this role, please email your CV and a cover letter stating your notice period and highlighting your suitability for the role in alignment with the job description to: email@example.com by close of business on Friday, 24th February 2023.