The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, is one of the leading investors and lenders in emerging markets. The mission of IFC is to promote sustainable private sector investment in developing countries, helping to reduce poverty and improve people's lives. IFC finances private sector investments in the developing world mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses. The development of infrastructure in Sub-Saharan Africa is a top strategic priority for IFC and for the international development community.
IFC is seeking to recruit an intern for a 6-month period to provide support to other investment staff for the development, execution and monitoring of investments in the Africa region. This group, focusing on the power, transport, and water infrastructure sector in Sub Saharan Africa, is responsible for sourcing and executing investment transactions and monitoring the existing transactions in the portfolio.
IFC seeks to expand its infrastructure investment activities substantially in Sub Saharan Africa. The existing infrastructure portfolio of IFC is large and diverse including major projects across the region. This position provides a unique opportunity to gain exposure to infrastructure projects in Africa and develop skills in financial analysis, modelling, and project finance in a fast-paced international environment.
The position is based in Dakar, Senegal.
Duties and Accountabilities
The responsibilities of the Intern include but are not limited to:
- Analyze financial statements and prepare or update financial models;
- Conduct industry, market and company research;
- Write KYC (Know-Your-Client) reports for prospective clients;
- Prepare project-related documents and PowerPoint presentations for internal and external audiences;
- Participate in all aspects of IFC’s project processing cycle from project development to disbursement;
- Collaborate efficiently with industry and regional IFC colleagues to support new business development; and
- Participate in broader portfolio management activities including the preparation of: (i) portfolio reports; (ii) sector studies; (iii) trend analysis; (iv) case studies and lessons learned, etc.
- Postgraduate student with a bachelor’s degree and due to graduate within 12 months;
- Ability to start the internship by September 2019 at the latest;
- Prior internship experience in an investment bank, private equity/infrastructure fund, big 4 audit firm or strategy consulting firm is a plus;
- Strong financial, analytical and modelling skills;
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint;
- Highly-motivated and driven individual with a strong willingness to learn and ability to multi-task;
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds;
- Interest in the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values; and
- Excellent communications skills in English and French.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their resume and short cover letter to Mr. Lorentz Chidue Nwachuku at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Corporate information, please visit www.ifc.org. Please be aware that only selected candidates will be contacted.