Position: Marketing and Communications Officer
Contract: Full Time / Permanent
Location: Central London
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer / Chief Operating Officer
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK REQUIRED
The African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA) is the pan-African industry body which promotes and enables private investment in Africa. AVCA plays a significant role as a champion and effective change agent for the industry, educating, equipping and connecting members and stakeholders with independent industry research, best practice training programmes, and exceptional networking opportunities.
Purpose of the Role
To implement and deliver an effective marketing and strategic communications plan for a dynamic non-profit organisation. The successful candidate will be responsible for driving AVCA’s marketing and communications unit, and working closely with other units – Events, Training, Research, Advocacy and Member Services, to ensure that the Association’s output is impactful, engaging, and consistent with the approved house style.
- Develop and drive the Association's marketing and communications strategy for all business units and functions;
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists of major financial newspapers and magazines;
- Act as the first point of contact for day-to-day press and media enquiries;
- Write, edit, and oversee the distribution of press releases and maintain targeted media distribution list;
- Arrange and monitor relationship-building meetings, interviews and speaking engagements with local and international media for the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Head of Research (including for international trips and key report releases);
- Identify and execute initiatives which strengthen AVCA’s position as the voice for the African private equity and venture capital industry;
- Build engagement and maintain the Association’s corporate and event websites and apps;
- Drive the social media strategy and manage the social media accounts of the Association and senior leadership; Actively manage the Association’s monthly newsletter delivery, research launches and event marketing via Mailchimp, and take responsibility for all of the Association’s announcements;
- Develop, conduct, and edit dedicated AVCA member interviews and blog contributions;
- Manage, record and edit podcast series and webinars;
- Work closely with Events, Training, Research, Advocacy, and Member Services units to develop and enhance content for member and key stakeholder engagement;
- Manage the application of the Association’s visual identity on branding and creative projects;
- In-house liaison with AVCA’s advisory committees, particularly Stakeholder & Communications Committee and Legal & Regulatory Committee, to drive the Association’s strategic goals;
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of AVCA’s marketing and communication channels and campaigns; and
- Manage relationships with AVCA’s external suppliers, including PR agency and design agency.
- At least 5years’ work experience in a marketing and communications role encompassing media and public relations management, drafting marketing collateral, brand management, website, and digital content updates;
- Confident, with superb writing and editing skills, and the ability to consistently deliver high-quality content across multiple platforms, working to strict deadlines;
- Ability to interpret and re-purpose technical industry information into clear, concise and engaging communications, including press releases, opinion editorials, and social media posts;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint); Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Audition), Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Google Analytics and Umbraco;
- Ability to prioritise and multi-task effectively;
- Ability to work with a high level of accuracy with great attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and develop strong working relationships with colleagues and senior industry professionals;
- Knowledge of the private equity asset class, and the investment landscape in Africa, is desirable;
- Self-starter with a positive and professional approach to management; and
- MINIMUM OF FIRST DEGREE IN RELEVANT DISCIPLINE REQUIRED (g. Communications Studies or Journalism).
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and generous benefits package.
To apply for this position, please email a detailed cover letter, clearly referring to the job description and your suitability for the role, and a CV showing your full employment history and qualifications, to email@example.com.
Informal enquiries may be made by calling +44 20 3874 7008.
Email Subject Format
Expression of Interest – Marketing and Communications Officer Position
Please note: emails that fail to follow the above format will be ignored.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.