Job Role/Title: General Counsel
Reporting to: Managing Partner
Location: Lagos or Abidjan
To advise the firm on issues such as private equity fund formation, fund administration and governance, debt and equity investment structuring, and regulatory and statutory compliance.
· Fund establishment: Liaise with external counsel and advise the firm throughout the fund-raising process for establishing a new private equity and/or alternative debt fund, including advising on fund structures, partnership agreements, compensation arrangements, and fund formation documentation.
· Fund administration: Provide oversight and liaise with fund administrator and service providers to ensure compliance with regulatory and statutory obligations within each fund domicile (Luxembourg, Mauritius, Nigeria). Act as lead on key communications and to resolve any issues that may arise with AIFM, fund administrator, key service providers, and/or regulators.
· Investment process:
o Review and provide feedback to firm’s investment team on deal structuring and equity investment term sheets.
o Review and provide feedback to firm’s credit team on loan structuring and comprehensiveness of structured debt, working capital, and trade finance agreements.
o Advise and work closely with firm’s team and external service providers on investment exits (sales to third parties, share swaps, MBOs, listings), including loan recovery and/or liquidation of assets (as/if appropriate).
o Work with team leads and external counsel to ensure comprehensiveness of investment legal due diligence, and that final loan and investment agreements reflect intended commercial objectives.
· Company secretarial:
Coordinate LP Advisory Meetings, Investment/Credit Committee Meetings, and Sahel Capital related board meetings. Provide oversight on preparation of meeting minutes to ensure they are timely, comprehensive, and accurate. Ensuring appropriate development, maintenance, and storage of key corporate records and ensure firm’s adherence to governance framework.
· Bachelor’s degree in Law with strong academic performance.
· Minimum of 10 years’ work experience.
· Investment structuring and transaction experience.
· Experience with at least one of the following fund domiciles – Luxembourg and Mauritius.
· Experience in Francophone Africa and fluency in French is an added advantage.
All Interested candidates can send their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org